AS A PET RAT BREEDER IT IS MY RESPONSIBILITY
Here at Romeo's Rat Pack I take the care of my animals very seriously, even those that are placed as pets. I believe I have a responsibility for finding my rats forever homes where they will receive the best of care and will be welcomed pets by your family, room mates and property owners / managers.
I'm sorry if any of these policies below exclude you as an adopter at this time. You are welcome to come back when changes in your life qualify you.
RRP ADOPTION POLICIES
- Rats adopted from Romeo's Rat Pack Rattery are PET ONLY. RRP Rats can not be adopted for breeding, as food for another animal, for sport (such as Barn Hunts or Earth Dog) or for experimentation in any way.
- I'm not able to ship or transport rats. Adopters must be able to come to Des Moines, Iowa to pick up their rats.
- If you are 17 years old or younger a parent or guardian must submit the adoption application and go through the entire adoption process, including being present at the time rats are being picked up. I want parents to realize their responsibility in making sure that their child is providing appropriate care for the rats being adopted and to step in if needed.
- For those that rent their place of residence I will need the contact information for the property owner or property manage to verify that caged pets are welcome. This information can be given to me on the Adoption Application. While speaking to the property owner / manager I do not ask for any other information - only if caged animals are welcome at the applicants residence.
- You must be able to pick up your rats within two weeks from the time they are ready to go. For babies it would be when they are 6 to 8 weeks old. For older rats, they must be picked up within 2 weeks from the time they are reserved. Failure to do so may result in cancellation of the adoption.
- To ensure the health of my rats being adopted I ask that adopters research rat care, and that they understand the importance of a proper diet, daily handling and a cage that is of adequate size and safe for rats.
- Rats often are happier and healthier with the social stimulation from a companion, therefore I adopt out my rats in pairs that are of the same sex and already bonded buddies.
- If you already have rats - to avoid unauthorized breeding, intentional or accidental, you can only apply for additional rats of the same sex as the rats you already have.
- I reserve the right to cancel an adoption at any time I see fit. Some examples for cancellation are due to finding false information on the application, discovering that important information is being withheld, refusing to provide a proper diet, cage or cage placement in the home, discovering abuse or neglect to animals you've owned in the past, failure to respond to time sensitive emails or messages, or inability to pick up your rats within my policy guidelines (within 2 weeks from the time the rats are ready to go), etc...